Monday, July 8, 2013

Shreveport Adventures: Food Edition

A couple weekends ago, I ventured down to Shreveport, Louisiana for my cousin, Derrick, and his fiance, Catherine's engagement party. I'd never been to Louisiana (at least not for a significant amount of time) so I guess I was expecting beads and masquerade masks. That's not exactly what I got, but I loved it!

Derrick lived in Shreveport for a couple of years following college for his job, which is when he met Catherine, a Shreveport native. Naturally, they both knew about the best local joints to try out, so my Aunt Becky and I decided to check them out! We took Catherine's suggestions more seriously than Derrick's, because apparently he tried to send us to a steakhouse called the Cub, which sounds great in theory. However, according to Catherine, although the steaks may be good, it's a smoky little bar joint full of big hulking men. My aunt and I probably would have looked a bit out of place.

Saturday morning, we tried a mutual favorite, Strawn's. What else would I have, but Minnie Mouse pancakes? When I sent a picture to my mom, she responded: Is that a kid's meal? No, mom. It's mine. Thanks.


Strawn's is also famous for its "ice box pies". There were several flavors, but Derrick told us the strawberry was the best, so that's what I got! Yep. Strawberry pie for breakfast. Not sorry.

 

Did I ever mention that I really love breakfast? Well, I'm mentioning it now. Because the next morning, we ate at Another Broken Egg. 



I had maybe one of the best omelettes ever. It was called "Hey Lucy!" and it contained chorizo, avocado, green chiles and lots and lots of cheese. Mmmmm. Nom nom nom.


I'll see you when I'm back in November for the wedding, Lucy!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment